In this article, you will find an overview of the Chipotle crew member job, including essential details such as responsibilities and salary.
If you are pursuing a career in the food-service industry, this position can be a great fit for you.
There are multiple job openings with minimal requirements, which make this position ideal for those looking for a flexible schedule and having limited experience.
Article Table of Contents
What Does a Chipotle Crew Member Do
Members of the Chipotle crew work to ensure a pleasant dining experience for customers during every visit.
The tasks vary from basic food preparation to taking customers’ orders.
So to succeed in this position, you need to be able to multitask efficiently.
The position also includes secondary type duties such as cleaning, opening and closing the store as well as preparing ingredients.
The primary responsibility of a Chipotle crew member is customer satisfaction.
As a crew member, you will play a key role in making customers happy despite the store area you’re working in.
In the kitchen, the duties include ensuring that orders are prepared safely and correctly.
In the front area, you will have to ensure recording the orders correctly as well as giving the right change.
The main duties of a crew member at Chipotle include:
- Taking orders and making change at the cash register correctly.
- Preparing food and following safety procedures.
- Keeping your workstation clean.
- Precisely following recipes to ensure the high-quality of food, and that it is the same every time.
- Helping put away supplies and merchandise after truck deliveries.
- Cooperating with management to resolve customer issues.
Requirements and Skills
There are multiple advantages to working at a fast-food restaurant as a crew member, especially for students and beginners.
Typically, food companies don’t require much experience from their employees.
They prefer those who can learn quickly and adapt to every situation.
The minimal requirements for a Chipotle Crew member include:
- Being at least 16 years old.
- Speaking fluently in the native language of the location.
Like any major brand in the fast-food industry, Chipotle is looking for people who are willing to develop their cooking and multi-tasking skills.
Here are some of the skills that are essential for a Chipotle crew member:
- Team member.
- Friendly personality.
- Enthusiastic attitude.
- Great communication skills.
- Versatility: you will have to change working stations pretty often.
Typically, Chipotle crew members work only part-time for 20-30 hours per week.
Sometimes, full-time positions can open up with a 40-hour workweek.
Overtime is rarely required to cover staff shortages.
The closing shifts may extend slightly over your established shift since it’s a food-service position.
If large orders are placed before the store is closing, the shifts can be extended as well.
The work environment in the food industry is fast-paced.
Orders should be prepared and served all the time.
Crew members at Chipotle have to work on their feet for the entire shift.
They should also be comfortable working in tight places surrounded by people.
Besides, it can be hot in the areas where the food is prepared.
You will do a lot of repetitive motions.
You will have to reach overhead and stoop.
Besides, you need to be able to lift packages of 30 pounds or more when the delivery truck arrives.
Salary and Benefits
The pay rate of Chipotle crew members can range from $9.5 to $10.5 depending on your experience.
Below, we put together a list of benefits that Chipotle crew members can receive.
They may vary depending on the home location and its regulations.
- Full-time employees can receive access to a 401k.
- Health insurance, including medical, vision, and dental insurance.
- After a few months of working with the company, you can get paid time off, which will grow over time.
- All members receive a discount on food orders.
- Paid breaks.
- Holiday closures.
- Depending on the seniority of an employee, flexible schedule.
- Additional benefit programs can become available, such as tuition reimbursement for certain degree programs.
- Broad advancement opportunities: crew members can move up to managerial positions.
- Up to $5,250 in tuition assistance can become available as well.
Depending on the number of people Chipotle needs to hire and the number of applicants, the application process can take between 2 days and 3 weeks.
Even if you don’t receive a response from the first try, you may be contacted later, as your information is stored in their system for a year.
Usually, those whose information is in the system have a priority over other candidates for a new opening.
When applying for the position, you can highlight your past experience in customer service and teamwork as these are the most important aspects of the job.
Even if they are not related to the food industry, you can still present them.
Crew members at Chipotle have a wide range of responsibilities in the restaurant.
You can start your day by operating a cash register and finish it in the kitchen area.
To be successful in this job, you need to be a team player and focus on customers.