|$ Typical Fee: $200||$ $ International Site: $350|
The National Council of State Boards of Nursing administers the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) and the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN).
The graduates from the nursing program who want to receive a license from their state board of nursing should pass the appropriate exam to become a licensed practical nurse (known as a licensed vocational nurse in some states) or a registered nurse.
We have an NCLEX-RN practice test as well as the NCLEX-PN practice test online that you can check out.
- In general, the registration fee for taking either NCLEX exam (-PN or -RN), is $200.
- The fee for an exam scheduled at an international site is $350.
What Is Included
- The exam candidates have to ask their state board of nursing to declare them eligible to take the NCLEX, and then the board will provide them with an authorization to test.
- An ATT can be valid for 60 to 365 days, based on the state, and in general, it is good for 90 days.
- The candidate should take the NCLEX exam while the ATT is still valid.
- On the exam day, candidates need to present acceptable ID and a copy of their ATT letter.
- They will be granted five hours to take the -PN exam and up to six hours for the -RN exam, including a short tutorial and two optional breaks.
- The National Council of State Boards of Nursing explains what to expect on exam day and after taking the NCLEX.
- The candidates who fail the NCLEX should wait 45-90 days to sit for the exam again, based on the requirements set by the state board of nursing.
- When applying to the state board of nursing for an authorization to test, candidates usually cover state license fees of $75-$200 or more.
- The preparation books and materials to for the NCLEX usually cost $25-$100 or more; where online prep programs are typically $50-$350; and in-person classes can be $100-$500 or more, based on what is included.
- The exam results are sent to the state board of nursing candidate listed on the application; changing the designated state board of nursing after registration costs $50.
- The change of the type of exam (-PN or -RN) after registration costs $50.
- The NCLEX is part of the state licensing process, and license requirements vary; for application forms and details about specific procedures, candidates should contact the state board of nursing in the state where they want to work.
- The National Council of State Boards of Nursing answers frequently asked candidates’ questions about the NCLEX exam, including eligibility and registration requirements.
Article Table of Contents