Finding the right school for ourselves or our children is something we should take very seriously and we should start looking for the right program on time.
My goal with this article is to provide useful information related to the best schools in Des Moines which are selected based on the quality of students who finish them and teachers who provide knowledge.
Upper Iowa University
Enrollment: The admission to Upper Iowa University requires some documents to be submitted and they must be sent directly to Upper Iowa University, PO Box 1857, Fayette, IA 52142.
Those documents include:
- A completed application for admission if you chose to download it and send it via mail or you can choose to apply online and submit it electronically.
- Official transcripts from each college and university you previously attended which must be sent directly from the granting institution.
Those seeking admission as a freshman can choose to submit either:
- An official high school transcript
- Official GED certificate or score report
- Evidence of a passing score on tests recognized by the state such as the High School Equivalency Test (HSET) and the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC)
- Official college or university transcript that lists the high school graduation date
Each application is reviewed by the Director of Admission and the admissions are allowed only to those most deserving ones, who are selected based on academic preparation, academic performance, and test scores.
Fees: Accepted students must submit an enrollment deposit of $250.
These are only some of the offered programs:
- Agricultural Business
- All Science
- Athletic Training(Notice: UIU is no longer accepting applications to the athletic training bachelor of science program.)
- Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts
- Business Administration
- Communication Studies
- Conservation Management
- Criminal Justice
- Criminal Justice with Social Work Training Certificate (Wisconsin)
- Emergency and Disaster Management
- Environmental Science
- Exercise and Sport Studies
- Financial Management
- Forensic Science
- Graphic Design
- Health Services Administration
- Human Resources Management
- Human Services
- Upper Iowa University
- Address: 5000 Westown Pkwy #200, West Des Moines, IA 50266
- Phone: +1 515-225-1800
- Web: https://uiu.edu/locations/desmoines/
Enrollment: The admission office at Drake university will review each application for admission individually, and first-year students can choose to complete wither the Standard Application or Test-Flexible Application.
The Standard Application includes the traditional admission measurements: transcript, ACT or SAT score, essay, and the other parts of your application.
The Test-Flexible Application path requires an interview instead of an ACT or SAT score report so first-year students can only choose this way of applying if they have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and are not pursuing pre-pharmacy. pre-athletic training, pre-occupational therapy, or the National Alumni Scholarship.
Application Requirements include the completion of an online application, submission of high school transcripts, ACT or SAT scores or completion of a test-flexible interview if eligible.
The optional part of the application can be an essay and a letter of recommendation.
Mailed documents should be labeled with your full name and date of birth and directed to:
Office of Admission
2507 University Ave.
Des Moines, Iowa 50311-4505
Email address: Admission@Drake.edu
Fees: If you are wondering about financial assistance, we suggest you use the Net Price Calculator to estimate your actual cost to attend Drake University.
- Drake University
- Address: 2507 University Ave, Des Moines, IA 50311
- Phone: +1 515-271-2011
- Web: https://www.drake.edu
Iowa Association of Realtors
Enrollment: Many people are wondering what is needed to become an instructor with the Iowa Association of REALTORS® and we are so excited to offer you some answers to your questions.
If you are interested in taking the next step toward becoming an instructor, the first step that you need to take is to fill out the application available on the school’s official website.
There, you will be able to upload a resume and three professional references with contact information.
Once your application is received and reviewed, the education director will schedule a phone interview with you.
If both of you decide to proceed with the application after the interview, the potential instructor will submit a 5-minute presentation via in-person audition or live stream depending on circumstance.
Throughout the application process, you are supposed to complete all relevant information to be considered for an instructor role with the Iowa Association of REALTORS® and answer the following questions:
- Do you currently hold a membership with the Iowa Association of REALTORS®?
- Why are you interested in becoming a member of the IAR faculty?
- List Professional Designations – Real Estate or Other.
- What types of presentation technology are you comfortable with?
- List all education sessions you are interested in teaching that you developed.
You will need to upload your current resume including educational experience as well as Teaching Experience, a copy of your diploma, transcriptions or certificates.
- Iowa Association of Realtors
- Address: 5950 Village View Dr #100, West Des Moines, IA 50266
- Phone: +1 800-532-1515
- Web: https://www.iowarealtors.com
Aveda Institute Des Moines
Aveda Institute Des Moines offers three programs and all of them are related to the beauty industry.
You can choose among the cosmetology program which is designed so as to give students skills and knowledge related to hair and scalp treatments, hair treatment, facial treatments, and skin care, hair removal, natural nail care, and acrylic nails, the Esthiology curriculum which provides skincare training or the massage program which teaches students the basics of Swedish massage, deep tissue massage, and spa treatments with an emphasis on anatomy, physiology, and pathology.
Enrollment: Admission into Aveda Institute is available to any applicant who possesses a high school education or equivalent (e.g. GED) and is at least 16 years of age.
However, he/she needs to provide the documentation necessary for the application and that includes:
- Signed permission from a parent or guardian if less than 18 years old.
- An aptitude test which determines the capability of successful completion of the program.
All these documents for enrollment have to be submitted to the Admissions department whose members will then give you the approval based on documents received.
Fees: There is a non-refundable $100 application fee that must be paid.
- Massage therapy
- Aveda Institute Des Moines
- Address: 6905 Mills Civic Pkwy #120, West Des Moines, IA 50266
- Phone: +1 515-224-5244
- Web: https://www.avedainstitutedesmoines.com
American College of Hairstyling
In case hairstyling is what interests you and you want to pursue a license in this field, the American College of Hairstyling is a perfect educational institution for you.
The Educational Programs offered at the American College of Hairstyling prepare students for a career in both hairstyling or barbering.
Some of the reasons for enrolling in this school are maximum exposure to cutting hair on real clients, personal instruction with small groups of students and the emphasis on haircutting and styling skills.
All of the school’s educational programs prepare the graduate for the Iowa State Barbering Exam.
Enrollment: Interested students should get familiar with the following admission guidelines and apply for enrollment via the official website.
Fees: When the payments are in question, the student must pay the registration fee of $150 and the drug testing fee of $25.
If you happen to be enrolled in the courses for licensed cosmetologists and the refresher course usually additional equipment is needed.
Students who miss more than 100 clock hours for any reason, will be charged additional tuition at a rate of $10 per hour.
- Basic Barbering & Hairstyling Course
- Master Barbering & Hairstyling Course
- Barbering & Hairstyling for Cosmetologists
- Refresher Course for Licensed Hairstylists / Barbers
- American College of Hairstyling
- Address: 603 E 6th St, Des Moines, IA 50309
- Phone: +1 515-244-0971
- Web: https://americancollegeofhair.com/
Mercy College of Health Sciences
Mercy College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
Enrollment: If you consider Mercy College of Health Sciences as your future educational institution, you are on the right path.
Mercy College of Health Sciences prepares students to enter the healthcare environment by providing the education, skills, and resources necessary to successfully reach the degree.
The enrollment process starts with scheduling a visit to their campus or attending a Program Information Session.
The Admissions staff will speak about academic programs while financial aid professionals will help you find the necessary funds to support your education.
The admission process for a health science education as easy and as smooth as possible and consists of two steps.
The first step is College admission while the second one is program admission.
Each program has admission requirements besides those for College admission.
College applications are processed for general College admission before consideration to a professional program.
Prospective students must:
- Complete and submit the online Application for College Admission.
- Submit official transcripts for all institutions attended
- Official high school transcript from an accredited secondary school or its equivalent, American College Testing (ACT) scores, Official High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) transcript or General Education Development (GED) scores.
- Healthcare Administration (Online)
- Health Sciences – Pre-Health Professions
- Nursing – Accelerated BSN (1-year)
- Nursing – BSN
- Nursing – Paramedic to BSN
- Nursing – RN to BSN (Online)
- Public Health (Online)
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography – Ultrasound
- Medical Assisting
- Nursing – ASN (Nights & Weekends)
- Paramedic – EMS
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Radiological Technology
- Surgical Technology
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Paramedic – EMS
- Surgical Technology
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support
- Advanced EKG
- Advanced Medical Life Support
- AHA Instructor Classes
- Basic EKG
- CPR and First Aid
- EMS Safety
- PALS and PEARS
- Pediatric Education for Pre-Hospital Professionals
- Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support
- Mercy College of Health Sciences
- Address: 928 6th Ave, Des Moines, IA 50309
- Phone: +1 515-643-3180
- Web: https://www.mchs.edu
DMACC Urban Campus
Enrollment: Admission at DMACC is based upon an open-door policy and it is good to have in mind that the college accepts any high school graduates who seek general admission.
Enrollment in programs and courses require some basic skill levels and available space.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to complete all admissions procedures and requirements.
Each program has the minimum entrance requirements for applicants and some of the requirements are proficiency in reading, writing and/or mathematics.
If you are applying to DMACC for the first time and pursuing one of DMACC’s credit programs you need to first explore available career paths and program options and then complete the online application for admission.
The Admissions Office will contact you by email about your application status once the application form is reviewed.
Then. You must complete any assessments or other requirements for your program and you will receive your program acceptance letter by email.
Fees: Your total cost will vary depending on the residence, the number of credits taken, any fees and the class format.
These are some of the estimated costs:
- Iowa Resident Tuition: $160 per credit hour
- Non-Resident Tuition: $320 per credit hour
- Online Class Tuition: $190 per credit hour
- DMACC Urban Campus
- Address: 1100 7th St, Des Moines, IA 50314
- Phone: +1 800-362-2127
- Web: https://www.dmacc.edu/urban/Pages/welcome.aspx
Des Moines University
Enrollment: Des Moines University offers prospective students a chance to reach their goal and become an exceptionally well-prepared health care professional.
At DMU, the admission is open only to those who meet the requirements.
So, the first step is to review the requirements for admission and see if you are allowed to apply for it.
If that is the case, then you should submit your online application as soon as possible.
You can apply through AACOMAS and applications are available on May 2 for the class that begins in August.
The application deadline is March 1, and you are required to submit the following documents:
- Official transcripts
- Official MCAT scores which are taken within three years of matriculation
- Three letters of recommendation and your application will be forwarded to the admissions committee for review only when they are provided.
You should submit a Medical Letter written by a DO or MD detailing your exposure to clinical medicine and an Academic or Advisor letter written by science professors or academic advisors.
Also, it is good to know that a Committee Letter by an established college/university pre-health professions committee and will count as 2 of the required letters of recommendation.
- Osteopathic Medicine
- Physical Therapy
- Podiatric Medicine
- Physician Assistant
- Biomedical Sciences
- Health Care Administration
- Public Health
- Continuing Medical Education
- Non-Degree Courses
- Des Moines University
- Address: 3200 Grand Ave, Des Moines, IA 50312
- Phone: +1 515-271-1400
- Web: https://www.dmu.edu
Grand View University
Grand View University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Enrollment: Students who want to enroll in Grand View and have a passion for learning should start the admission process.
Applicants are accepted on a rolling basis.
The enrollment decision will be based on class rank and test scores, quality of high school curriculum completed, co-curricular achievement; and maturity and seriousness of purpose as displayed through the church, community, school, work, and family activities.
First-year students must do the following:
- Complete a free application for admission.
- Request that official high school transcripts be sent to the Admissions Office:
1200 Grandview Ave
Des Moines, IA 50316
- Submit their ACT or SAT scores.
An official General Education Development (G.E.D.) certificate may be used in the absence of a high school diploma. Submit ACT or SAT scores.
Fees: The costs that you are supposed to pay are tuition, fees, and room/board.
In addition to direct costs, there are some other expenses such as Books/Supplies and a full-time undergraduate student spends about $836/year on this.
Personal costs vary according to personal circumstances and spending habits while off-campus Room/Board range from $3,528 to $9,336 for the nine-month academic year.
- Art & Design
- Athletic Training 3 + 2
- Business Analytics
- Computer Science
- Criminal Justice & Sociology
- Human Services
- Kinesiology & Health Promotion
- Liberal Arts
- Management Information Systems
- Modern Languages
- Organizational Studies
- Paralegal Studies
- Political Studies
- Social Work
- Theatre Arts
- Theology & Philosophy
- Grand View University
- Address: 1200 Grandview Ave, Des Moines, IA 50316
- Phone: +1 515-263-2800
- Web: https://www.grandview.edu
Des Moines Public Schools
Des Moines Public Schools provide students with options to meet their educational needs.
These schools offer programs such as Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate to Special Education services to educating English Language Learners.
You just need to make sure which carer path you want to take and which of these schools matches your desires and needs, as well as your expectations.
Enrollment: Des Moines Public Schools offer education from preschool through high school, and are considered the best educational choices to students and families in Iowa.
To learn more about the educational programs within the district you should visit the official webpage, where you will find everything you need to enroll and register your child for Des Moines Public Schools.
If you are a family new to the school district, you must visit the Welcome Center, 1000 Porter Ave., to enroll your student and register.
The registration takes about 30 minutes to complete and it is required to provide:
- Photo ID
- Proof of address (please see list of accepted documents below)
- Student’s immunization records
- Student’s birth certificate
- Des Moines Public Schools
- Address: 3000 Cambridge St, Des Moines, IA 50313
- Phone: +1 515-244-7410
- Web: https://www.dmschools.org
Trade Schools in Iowa by CitySee trade schools in Iowa >>
Now, that you can see what Des Moines has to offer and you gathered all the essential information, you will be able to understand school quality and determine which one is the ideal solution for you.