Prospective medical assistants can be able to take free online courses that are related to their career and among them are introductory courses.
All the courses below are educational only and will not give you credit for your studies, they will, however, help you later on with the knowledge you gained from them.
Please note that to become a medical assistant you need to go through training and be licensed.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 Wisc-Online
- 2 University of Washington School of Medicine
- 3 Des Moines University
- 4 University of Utah
- 5 U.S. National Library of Medicine
- 6 University of Minnesota
- 7 Advantages of a Career as a Medical Assistant
- 8 Final Words
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9.1 How do I get an AAMA certification?
- 9.2 Is it possible to become a medical assistant online?
- 9.3 Where can I find online medical assistant training programs?
- 9.4 How much do online medical assistant programs cost?
- 9.5 What are the advantages of online training for medical assisting?
- 9.6 What are the disadvantages of online training for medical assisting?
- 9.7 Can I get my MA certificate online?
- 9.8 Are online medical assistant programs legit?
- 9.9 Is online training enough to become a successful medical assistant?
- 9.10 What are the benefits of being a medical assistant?
- 9.11 Which is better CMA or CNA?
- 9.12 What is the quickest medical assistant program?
- How to Use a Microscope – Covers parts and functions of a microscope. On the site, you can learn how to examine a specimen under it and one will need a computer installed with Adobe Flash. There is a log-in icon however the user is prohibited from logging in to view videos.
- Measuring Volume Using a Graduated Cylinder – This shows you the right way to read the calibrated liquid amount in the graduated cylinder. First, there is a discussion on the graduations on the cylinder and later asks the user to read the amount that is in the cylinder.
- Medical Assistant Learning Objects – This is a learning session involving interactions as a way of learning. The topics in this course are business correspondence, skeletons, muscles, the lymphatic system, message taking, scheduling, professionalism, medical examination positions, open wounds, medical asepsis, muscles, the endocrine system, commonly misspelled words, blood collection tubes, and apical pulse. As a user, you will need a computer installed with Adobe Flash for viewing learning objects. Logging in option exists but you can view the learning objects without you logging in. on the left-hand side, click on ”Health” then ”Medical Assistant” to proceed with viewing.
- Medical Terminology Pronunciation Jukebox – Gets all the medical words and pronunciations right. A user will click on an album like body structure, blood, digestive system or cardiovascular system. The page brings a list of words and you can click on each to hear the right pronunciation.
- Root Words for the Medical Transcriptionist – This is a question course that has 74 terms. Users click on any medical term root word then drag it to the right definition. There is a time limit which is 15 seconds dedicated to every part of the quiz. If a user misses finishing matching the pairs, the quiz proceeds.
See their courses here: Medical Assistant – Wisc-Online
University of Washington School of Medicine
Learn CPR has a category with videos and illustrated guides that impart cardiopulmonary resuscitation which is CPR and treating victims of choking.
There are CPR guides for dogs, cats, infants, children, and adults.
Videos demonstrate how to offer first aid and CPR to victims of choking.
Des Moines University
Online Medical Terminology Course gives medical students an opportunity to learn 300 medical words and what they mean.
The course goes further to teach the fundamental makeup of the medical terms and the user can go ahead and begin learning new words.
The mode of learning in this course is by quizzes and text lessons.
University of Utah
Phlebotomy is a course that shows the venipuncture process in depth.
It entails patient identification, multiple tube phlebotomy, equipment, labeling, patient care, access sites, and infection control and quality assurance.
The mode of learning in this tutorial is slides and illustrated texts.
Read more about phlebotomy here: How To Get The Best Phlebotomy Training (ULTIMATE GUIDE)
U.S. National Library of Medicine
Understanding Medical Words: A Tutorial from the National Library of Medicine enables medical assistant students in learning the various parts of the medical words and how to bring them together.
To view the quiz tutorial, you need a computer with a Flash player installed.
University of Minnesota
Web Anatomy takes into consideration self-tests on topics like histology, the digestive system, and bones.
There are timed tests on topics like the full skeleton, skin, and body muscles.
The site has multi-player games on topics like the respiratory, digestive system, and heart.
The quiz bowl puts the user to test their knowledge on body systems, body regions, and blood cells.
Advantages of a Career as a Medical Assistant
Various work environments
Medical assistants are not only confined to working in facilities with large driven systems.
They can work in private doctor’s offices, health practitioner’s offices, and outpatient care centers.
It is absurd that most medical assisting students have a mentality that upon successfully completing the required tests, they will be working in big hospitals only.
This is certainly not it.
Health care has moved a step further into using technology and many facilities are moving to work both during the day and night all year round. Hospitals and emergency clinics are taking this path.
This will make medical assistants’ services needed in such facilities.
More health services will be required because the baby boomer population is quickly aging.
Being a member of a licensed trade
Medical assistants are licensed professionals.
The trade is licensed.
Medical assistants need to take their required courses, pay for the Certified Medical Assistant Exam (CMA) and the successful students will be issued a certificate by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) that will certify that you are licensed.
If you’re interested in being a medical assistant, then what are you waiting for?
Click here to see our full guide to becoming a medical assistant.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get an AAMA certification?
Here are the steps to follow to get your AAMA certificate:
- Go through medical assisting training and be ready for the exam.
- Gather the required documents for your exam, schedule, and pass the exam.
- Monitor your mail, email, and phone – get your official score report.
- Get your certificate – about 3 weeks after you pass the exam successfully, you will receive your certificate in the mail.
Is it possible to become a medical assistant online?
Going through training online is possible, but remember the AAMA certification is not done online, you will be tested at a physical location.
Where can I find online medical assistant training programs?
We have links throughout the page to recommended training programs for medical assistants.
How much do online medical assistant programs cost?
This varies greatly depending on the school you are enrolled in for your training.
But, you can expect the training to be anywhere between $4,000 – $8,000.
Some programs can be as little as $1,200, but these are usually not going to prepare you enough for the AAMA exam.
What are the advantages of online training for medical assisting?
- Study at your own pace – With online videos being available 24/7, you can always study whenever you want to.
- Study anywhere – From your home, a near coffee shop, or while traveling.
- Fewer distractions – You can study alone at home without the distractions of a classroom.
What are the disadvantages of online training for medical assisting?
- No hands-on experience – Practice makes perfect, and you can’t practice much with an online program in this field.
- No classmates – It does take some of “the education experience” away from what you get in more traditional colleges and schools.
Can I get my MA certificate online?
You can get a MA degree or certificate online as many schools have expanded their online education offerings, particularly after the pandemic.
Some can be done completely online at your own pace and on your schedule.
Some will require you to be in person for part of the program if there is a clinical aspect involved.
Are online medical assistant programs legit?
There are many legitimate medical assistant programs available online.
Many universities are offering an online option that mirrors in-class studies.
There are also schools that are primarily online in all they offer.
You may also find some that are not legitimate.
It is a good idea to find out about their accreditation, which verifies their legitimacy.
Is online training enough to become a successful medical assistant?
Considering the Covid-19 pandemic, many schools have expanded their programs to include online versions.
You can take the same classes online that you would take in a traditional setting.
Your online certificate from an accredited institution is just as valid as one from an in-person educational setting.
You may have to do part of it at the school, but almost all of it is online.
What are the benefits of being a medical assistant?
Being a medical assistant pays well and it is a stable job.
A degree to become a medical assistant does not take long—a year to 18 months.
That can be a first step in furthering your medical career.
You may also specialize in a certain area, which will give you more pay and a faster path to advancement.
There is a solid demand for medical assistants.
Which is better CMA or CNA?
There is some overlap, but the job of CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) and CMA (Certified Medical Assistant) has a lot of differences.
It takes about twice as long to earn a degree to be a CMA.
A CNA is involved in the daily care of patients and is often in nursing homes.
CMA works with medical providers to give patients the medical care they need.
What is the quickest medical assistant program?
The quickest medical assistant programs are ones you can take online.
Some schools offer accelerated courses that take as little as three months.
These classes include everything the normal year and a half program has.
It is just delivered faster.
The online classes include some in-person training that must be done at the school, but most are done online.