|$ $ MAs Average $13,800 a year at Public Universities; $36,300 at Private Universities.|
Graphic designers are focused on creating effective ways to communicate in electronic, print, and film media.
A Masters of Fine Arts in graphic design usually takes two to three years, and most programs emphasize the practical skills along with the academic approach.
Those students, whose bachelor’s degrees are not in graphic design, might require an additional year to complete the MFA program.
Tuition and fees for a master’s degree program cost $6,900 for one semester at public universities and $18,150 for one semester at private universities, according to the National Center for Education Services.
A two-year master’s degree program is approx. $27,600-$72,580; while the three-year program is approx. $41,300-$108,900.
USNews.com ranks the top graphic design schools.
The Rhode Island School of Design is on the top with estimated tuition and fees of $66,250 for a two-year program.
MFA degrees can be earned more economically through state universities.
For example, Colorado State University charges annual tuition and fees of $6,400 for state residents and $18,000 for nonresidents, making it $19,200-$54,000 for its three-year program.
What Is Included
The admission to a graphic design MFA program usually requires a slide portfolio with samples of the student’s art and design projects.
The graduation usually includes completion of an extensive thesis project.
The Princeton Review provides basic information about MFA programs in graphics.
- All graphic design projects require the usage of professional-quality materials.
- The San Francisco Art Institute, for example, has an average cost for materials and supplies at $1,200 a year; while the Maryland Institute College of Art requires students to spend approx. $3,500 a year on books and design supplies.
- The health insurance is included in the tuition cost for some schools but can be an additional $800-$1,900 a year.
- Naturally, the living expenses vary by location.
- The average living expenses at Colorado State University are approx. $7,920 per academic year while the same at Rhode Island School of Design are approx. $9,860 for a shared dormitory room and meals.
- More information is provided in the individual school websites for estimated local costs.
Shopping For An MFA In Graphic Design
- AIGA – The American Institute of Graphic Arts provides help in selecting a design school.
- The National Association of Schools of Art and Design releases an annual list of accredited schools, online and in hard copy ($15).
- Search GraphicDesignSchools.com for schools offers an MFA degree in graphic design.