|$ $ Medium: MAs Average $13,800 a year at Public Universities; $36,300 at Private Universities.|
The role of the architects is to combine art and science and thus to create environments for people.
The students with a bachelor’s degree in pre-architecture can earn a MA (or MArch) in a two-year program; while those with a non-architecture bachelor’s degree can earn a MA in three to four years.
- According to the National Center for Education Services, the tuition and fees for a master’s degree program are at the average sum of $6,900 a semester at public universities and $18,150 a semester at private universities.
- The two-year master’s degree program would run $27,600-$72,580; while a three-year program goes between $41,300-$108,900, and four years would total $55,200-$145,200.
- The actual costs vary widely between the schools: the tuition and fees at MIT, which accepts only 30 students a year into their MA program, are $35,000 for a nine-month academic year, while at the same time, the tuition and fees for a similar period in the MA program at the University of Minnesota cost $10,400 for state residents and $17,500 for nonresidents.
What Is Included
In order to become an architect, one needs an accredited degree plus participation in an approved internship program, as well as a professional licensing exam.
ArchCareers.org provides a comprehensive guide to careers in architecture, including how to become and architect and the specific education needed.
- The Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture publishes A Guide to Architecture Schools in North America for $24.95.
- ArchCareers.org recommends a list of books about careers in architecture at $16-$85 each.
- The supplies and books are estimated on a school’s website, where they typically run $1,000-$1,500 a year.
- The health insurance is included in the tuition cost for some schools, but can be an additional $800-$1,900 a year.
- Naturally, the living expenses vary by location, information is provided at individual school websites.
- For example, Cornell University estimates graduate student living expenses at $11,680 per academic year and on-campus room and board at San Francisco Academy of Art costs $6,800-$11,000 for nine months of on-campus housing.
- Admission to an MA program is very competitive, and applicants must take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) at a cost of $140.
- The Princeton Review provides basic information about MArch programs.
Some programs provide assistantships, which guarantee a stipend and possibly tuition discounts in exchange for duties such as teaching or research.
One should check with a specific school for up-to-date details about what kind of financial help is available for graduate students.
Shopping For An MA In Architecture
- More than 110 schools provide architecture programs accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) and another three schools are candidates for accreditation.
- Ssearch the NAAB database for accredited architecture schools by state and/or type of degree offered.
- The American Institute of Architecture Students offers the basic questions to ask about a MArch degree program.
Article Table of Contents