Emergencies as well as regular events taking place in a surgery room from Wyoming has several personnel ready to act at the drop of the hat.
This type of personnel includes:
- Anesthesia specialists
- Surgical nurses
- Surgical technicians
They start to collaborate even before the surgery starts and they do so until after the operation ends.
The professionals mentioned last, are also known as operation room (OR) techs and scrub techs.
Article Table of Contents
- 1 Surgical Technologist Job Description and Duties
- 2 Surgical Technologist Training and Education
- 3 Becoming a Certified Surgical Technologist in Wyoming
- 4 Surgical Technologist Salary
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
Surgical Technologist Job Description and Duties
A surgical technologist in Wyoming has to complete several tasks during their shift at work.
- Preparing patients for surgery
- Transporting patients to and from the OR
- Preparing the OR with surgical equipment and supplies
- Monitoring the instrument count throughout surgery
- Handing the surgeon medical instruments
- Closing wounds and bandaging patients
Of course, this is not a complete list of all the duties of such a medical professional.
Surgical Technologist Training and Education
Surgical techs in Wyoming are not under the jurisdiction of any institution, except their employers.
This doesn’t mean it’s that easy to get such a job, so let’s learn more about the process!
Your journey to becoming a surgical tech in Wyoming starts by graduating from high school and a GED is also acceptable.
Your next step is to enroll in a training program designed for this occupation.
Remember that you need both education and clinical training for this job.
Several institutions offer such training across Wyoming.
Their enrollment requirements are slightly different, but many have common classes:
- Medical terminology.
- CPR and/or BLS and/or AED
Calhoun Community College
At this college, the training program has a duration of around 2 years or 4 semesters.
Students will attend classroom, lab, and clinical instruction.
If you want to earn an AAS at this college, you’ll have to complete an additional 18 general education credit hours.
To be accepted into the program, you must:
- Apply online
- Attend a program information session
- Complete a Manual Dexterity Exam
- Meet all the college’s admission requirements
Laramie County Community College
This school provides a Surgical Technology Associate of Applied Science program, requiring 11 months for completion.
The curriculum incorporates practical experience and laboratory demonstrations.
Prospective students are required to clear a drug screening and undergo a criminal background check.
As of now, the tuition stands at approximately $1,713 per semester for in-state students.
Bevill State Community College
The program offered here covers the following topics, among others:
- Sterile processing,
- Infection control
- Instrumentation identification,
The classes are organized in the college itself.
Those who want to study here must meet some prerequisites:
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Pass the Accuplacer placement exam
- Meet the other requirements
- Complete their military service
- This is not mandatory but it will be taken into consideration
- Having previous medical-related experience, if possible
- Have health insurance
- Completing at least 120 clinical cases
- Complete at least 30 cases in General Surgery, with 20 of them in the first scrub role
One of the following must also be met:
- Minimum composite score of 16 on the ACT
- Minimum Writing score of 4 on Accuplacer or ENG 101
- Minimum Math – Elementary Algebra score of 200 on Accuplacer or MTH 116
The course has a total of 29 credits.
|Laramie County Community College||1125 Boulder Dr, Laramie, WY 82070|
|Calhoun Community College||online|
|Bevill State Community College||online|
Becoming a Certified Surgical Technologist in Wyoming
Even though certification is not required legally, employers seek certified personnel for this position.
Here are some of the certifying bodies for this occupation:
- National Surgical Assistant Association (NSAA)
- Provides the Certified Surgical Assistant (CSA) qualification
- National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA)
- Provides the Certified Surgical Technologist/Certified First Assistant credential
- National Center for Competency Training (NCCT)
- Provides the Tech in Surgery Certification
Out of all these exams, the one offered by the NBSTSA is the most reputable one with national recognition.
Testing centers can be found in a few cities across Wyoming.
The test has 200 questions, and to pass, a minimum of 119 must be answered correctly.
You can’t take the test without paying the associated fee:
- $190 for Association of Surgical Technologists (AST) members
- $290 for non-AST members
Your certification has to be renewed every 4 years, and there are 2 ways of doing this:
- Retaking the certification exam
- It requires re-paying the exam fee
- Completing continuing education classes
- This requires 60 education credits during the renewal period
Certification renewal also requires a renewal fee to be paid.
Surgical Technologist Salary
While this may not be the most glamorous job out there, one should know the potential income should they choose this job.
In Wyoming, an OR tech can earn about $47,300 per year.
This next table will show you the cities where these employees earn more compared to the rest of the state.Annual Salary Range: Annual Salary by Location:
|Location||Avg. Annual Salary|
Regional Salary in Wyoming
|Region||Employed||Avg. Annual Salary||Avg. Hourly Pay||Top 10% Annual Salary||Bottom 10% Annual Salary|
|Cheyenne, WY||30||- NA -||- NA -||- NA -||- NA -|
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a Surgical Tech From Wyoming Choose a Specialty?
Just like surgeons can choose to operate on a specific body part, so can these techs.
Here are the most commonly chosen surgery niches:
- General surgery,
Where Do Surgical Technologists from Wyoming Find Work?
These technologists usually work in a hospital’s surgery wing.
Furthermore, these other places also hire such specialists:
- Children’s hospitals
- Cosmetic surgery centers
- Specialty clinics for surgical procedures
What Skills Do I Need To Work As A Surgical Tech in Wyoming?
Here are the most important skills this profession requires:
- Able to work as part of a team
- Take direction
- Understanding medical terms
- Understanding medical methodology
- Good communication skills